Monday, October 7, 2013

Miss Emily

Any spare time I had in the month of August, I was working on "preschool prep". I was constantly found doing DIY projects, printing, cutting, laminating, painting, planning, pinning on Pintrest, etc. getting ready for my  new adventure as a preschool teacher.
I was surprised at how much work went into creating a classroom, planning curriculum, getting registered, and remembering all of the little details. However, I was pleased with how easily a lot of it came. Thanks to Pinterest, 4 years of school training, Ikea, and DIY I was able to finish and be pretty pleased with my final product.
Welcome to Preschool with Miss Emily!
the beginning of our work in progress - bye bye craft room! :s

 
 This lovely piece was bought at an estate sale from the home of one of my favorite people (Sister Sharon Stucki - she passed away last winter) I saw that this piece had a lot of potential and I loved that I would have a "piece of her" in my home.
before

primed

painted

complete, with knobs
This next element is the classroom table/desk space. I have a very dear friend: "Uncle Marc". He's not really my uncle, but he and his sweet wife Julie have kind of adopted Brad and I since my family has lived away. He has done pretty much all of any remodeling my mom has had done in the house and he is the BEST. He is always making sure things are well with us and he's always ready and willing to help us fix something around the house. He also shares his yummy garden veggies :)
His wife Julie taught preschool for years and he kind of made up a table for her. He did the same for me. This is how awesome he is: he did it all from his own ideas and memory without any template or guide! He had it made in less than a day and it's perfect! I love that it can be pieced together so that when I'm not using it, it will be easier to store - he thinks of everything!
 
all the pieces before they were painted

some of the pieces after it was painted

the finished product!
After finding this great rug, chalkboard, book shelves, and cube shelving unit @ IKEA, my filing cabinet on KSL, using my DIY & painting skills, sales @ target & the $ store, teachers pay teachers website, and my mom's old canning jars, I had a finished classroom!
 



 

Now on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, I will answer to Miss Emily. You will find me using my "teacher voice", exerting crazy amounts of energy for the little ones, singing off key, dancing, reading, teaching, snacking, and playing with the most adorable little kids. I am so thrilled with how everything has turned out and I am SO grateful for this opportunity. I feel so blessed to be a part of these darling kids' lives and to be able to do what I love to do - teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment