Friday, November 30, 2012

Christmas Candy

For as long as Grandma Roundy can remember, she has been making Christmas candy with her sisters. One of her sister's MIL made chocolates for a candy shop in SLC way back when, so Grandma was really trained by experts.

Since then, Grandma has carried on the tradition of making Christmas candy every year. There have been years where all of the women have done it together, she's done it with just a few, or sometimes by herself (heaven forbid). Grandma's Christmas candy is one of my fondest childhood memories. She is already a fabulous cook and to say her sweets are delicious is truly an understatement.

This year I took the opportunity to invite myself up to Grandma's to make some Christmas candy. There is a lot to learn about making this candy and a lot of tiny things you should and shouldn't do to make the candies turn out just right.

Yesterday was my first attempt to more independently make them, with the constant guidance of Grandma and continual support from cousin Shaylee as we worked together to make our share. I was pleasantly surprised at how well things turned out and how -somewhat naturally- it came to me.

Here's to a successful candy making experience!
Peanut Brittle
Melbas
More Melbas, Toffee, and Candied Almonds YUM!
Grandma and me after a long, enjoyable day :)


No comments:

Post a Comment