Friday, November 30, 2012

Thanksgiving Festivities

I cannot believe how fast the month of November has gone by!
It probably helped to have my mom in town a little early for the holiday break. As I mentioned before she helped me out with a lot while she was here. We finally went through the storage room and got it all organized, she helped me make some decorating decisions around the house, and of course helped with the huge painting project. We also did a lot of shopping to help get a bunch of her Christmas shopping done and, by request, help give her wardrobe a little face lift.

It was really nice to have my mom around, especially since Brad's new shift started that same week with him working until 8 or 8:30 every night. Having someone there to keep me company made it more bearable. (anyone who knows me, knows how much I dislike being home alone).

My mom was also able to help me identify different things I really want to focus on improving about myself, physically, mentally, emotionally, etc. Mom's are the BEST at that sort of thing. I am so grateful for my mom and the close relationship that we have. This whole month has caused me to reflect a lot on what I am grateful for and it is truly overwhelming.

My dad and little sister Megan arrived in Utah the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. It is seriously the BEST having family in town. We are always getting spoiled with a full fridge and pantry and great company of course. :) We enjoyed just some relaxed, no hassle time together, always the best.

Thanksgiving day was celebrated at Uncle Steve and Aunt Jill's house. This year was the on year, where pretty much everyone was there. We about 50 people there! That kind of group can get really crowded and chaotic, but it is still the best! Nothing is better than spending time with SO MANY people that you love. It's so fun to see all the little groups of cousins that are like the mini-me groups of all the older cousins.

We spent the night up there Thursday night and went to a matinee movie the next day (a tradition of ours). Brad had to work, so I joined the little ones and my mom for Rise of the Guardians. I actually really liked it. It was really interesting how much Christian symbolism there was... always a breath of fresh air at the movies. There are some pretty awesome looking movies out/coming out and I'm pretty excited about a few.
After the movie Shay, Marcie, Rachael, my mom, and I did some shopping at our favorites: Marshalls & Home Goods. SO GREAT. Then we headed back to Jill's to get ready to head to the temple. Cousin Tucker is leaving on his mission to Tempe Arizona on Dec. 19 and we all got to be a part of his first temple experience. It's always extra special to go to the temple with so many family members. Brad was sweet enough to surprise me and came up in time to join us at the temple. Afterwards we had some dinner at Village Inn with everyone and headed home.

THANKSGIVING PICS

Brik and Brooklyn, caught in the pantry

Princess Paige and Princess Brooklyn

Letting the feast settle

Brik with some of the cousins... seriously guys he is the BEST with kids and available! ;)

Pie time 

2 of the most beautiful girls

the "mini-me's"
Hannah: Rachael, Seth: Jake, Ashlee: Shaylee, Megan: Me, Caroline: Juliana

Brad, me, Mitch, Jess, Zac, Shane, Shannon

Olivia & Maddie

Aunt Marcie, Dad, Mom, Aunt Jamie, Annie, Jake, Gpa, Gma

Rachael, her hubby Nate, and Sophie

Shay and Jas
Just a few of the pics I stole from other people since I didn't take any. :s

Saturday morning was spent putting up all our Christmas decorations. It was fun to have the family there helping since Brad had to work that day. They were all very helpful and I was relieved to have most of it done before the end of the day.

In the late afternoon, cousin Ashlee came over with Elder Zach Alder (Shaun's trainer). It was so fun to talk to him and ask him about Shaun and the mission. They seem to have a great respect for each other. We were also able to share an appreciation for classic Shaun stories. So great!

We finished off the night watching a movie with the fam and enjoying church together the next day. We played a few games of catch phrase together while waiting for time to pass before we headed over to Uncle BR and Jill's house for a fabulous dinner (as always).

Monday morning was a sad morning, having to take the family to the airport to head back to North Carolina.

November has been a month of much reflection on what we have been blessed with, rather than what we want/need.

I have learned to have a greater appreciation for the good health we have been blessed with. I have learned to have greater appreciation for the Lord's plan for us; knowing He knows what is most timely for us at any given time. I have learned how blessed we are to have such amazing families the offer so much love, support, kindness, and generosity. We are so blessed to have the knowledge we do of the gospel and the perspective that it offers. I am so grateful for the many examples we have of service in the church, in our neighborhood, and among friends and family. I do hope this perspective continues as we approach the most important celebration of the year: the birth of our Savior. May we truly strive to live more like Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment